Monday, April 26, 2010

Weekend Recap

This weekend, as most weekends, seems to fly by. On Friday, my younger brother who has been in Arizona for the past couple of months with my older brother finally came home. It was nice to have him home. I knew he was coming home, but my mom and grandparents had absolutely no idea. Every Friday, we see my grandparents, whether it be at their house or my parents house for dinner. It's a tradition we have had since my brothers and I were little. So the doorbell rang at my parents house and I go and answer it and say, "Hmmm, there's no one here," thinking my mom would catch on and come to the door. She didn't and finally I had to ask the kids who were at the door. They were excited to see my brother. They have missed him a lot.

So after visiting for a while, we had to go to a wake for my aunt's nephew who just turned 21 and had passed away. I had met him a couple of times in my life and his parents as well, but we went more for support of my aunt and cousin who were all very close to him. We waited for about an hour to view the body and give our condolences to the parents. It was incredibly sad. I cried because it is so heartbreaking to see this kid who had his whole life ahead of him laying in a casket. It is even harder to watch as his parent, brothers, grandparents, family member struggle to make sense of this.

On Saturday, it was our 6 year anniversary. I cannot believe that we have been married that long! It seems like just yesterday we got married. My in-laws watched the kids for us, as my parents decided that after the debacle from last year that they would no longer watch the kids on our anniversary. Last year, we went out for our anniversary and Princess M tripped over her pajama bottoms which were too long and ended up breaking her leg. So I spent the night in the hospital with Princess M. Anyways, we went to this place called Wildfire in Oak Brook for dinner. It was really good. When the Teacher and I were first dating, we went to this restaurant and this was the first place he told me he loved me. Realistically I would love to say that we went there because it was so nostalgic, but the reality is that we had a $50 gift card that was a couple of years old that we needed to use. In case you haven't been able to figure out, we don't often go out without our children. After dinner, we just walked around for a little bit. We actually went to Barnes and Noble and bought the kids each a book. So romantic I tell you!

On Sunday, I started the Couch to 5 K challenge and I have discovered I am so not in shape. I may not be overweight but I am definitely not in shape. My thighs are telling me that they are very sore today, but I think this is a good thing. So Week 1, Day 1 complete. I am really hoping to stay up with this training. To make it even more fun, The Teacher is doing it with me. Of course we have to do our runs at different times, but we are both doing it. We both are hoping to run in our town's 5K this September. They say it gets easier and that is really what I am hoping for.

Princess M had a rough day yesterday as she decided to forgo her nap and when she does that, she is a nightmare come dinnertime. So needless to say, she had an early bedtime which she was not happy with. She kicked and screamed at the door for a few before finally passing out. Of course she fell asleep against the door which meant we had to kinda push her to get in and get her in bed. She was whiny when we tried to move her, which meant I got some cuddle time, which I of course love!

Z man had a pretty good day. He was excited about picking out his snack for preschool when we were at the store. He wanted to go with the Cheese and Crackers route, but we have done that the past couple of times and thankfully they didn't have any on the shelf at the store, so we had him choose something different. So, Cheez-It's was the choice this time around. He gets excited about bringing snack to school because that means he gets to be line leader and help out his teachers. I love that he loves school much. He is probably going to go through withdrawl this summer with no school. I am also so proud of him because while he was on spring break, I taught him our address. So now, when we ask him where we live, he recites it back to us. We are now working on our phone number. Princess M of course gets part of the answers right. She is just trying to be a big smarty pants!

So back to our normal routine. Right now the kids are driving me nuts because they both know how to push the others buttons. It's moments when they are both screaming or fighting that makes me thankful that I have to go to work because I surely would lose my mind today!

No comments:

Post a Comment