Monday, August 16, 2010

RIP Holly

So yesterday was a sad day in our family. An accident happened and their one dog was run over. She was rushed to the Animal Hospital but it was determined that it would cost way too much money and make the poor dog endure way too much pain in an attempt to make her okay. It is devastating for my family. I feel horrible for my parents and brothers. It was my parents dog.

I was obviously upset and I had a hard time concealing this from my kids. Princess M kept asking me while I was crying and I knew that I was going to have to explain to the kids what happened. They spend a lot of time at my parents house since my mom watches them for me and even though they weren't going to there tomorrow, my mom was going to be watching them at my house. I struggled with the words to tell my 3 and 4 year old about this. The Teacher quickly volunteered not to explain (although in the end he helped). We have never dealt with this before. We have had a few family members pass away, but it was when the kids were really young and to people that they did not know. I dodged a few bullets there. This one though I knew I wasn't going to be able to dodge.

So we sat the kids down and tried to explain in the best way possible that Holly had an accident and that the animal doctor was unable to fix her up so she went up to doggy heaven. They are so sweet and innocent that they asked if she would be back at Grandma and Grandpa's tomorrow. We explained no, but it was a difficult conversation. Z man ran to his room and was crying so I was explaining to him again and just trying to comfort him. Princess M I think was more feeding off everyone else crying so she was crying as well.

I had a difficult time falling asleep last night because I was feeling horrible for my brother especially. The kids seem to be doing okay. I am more concerned about Tuesday when they go to my parents house and realize that Holly isn't there.

Death I understand is inevitable but it is the hardest thing to explain to children. I know that Holly is up in Doggie Heaven running around playing, but I do wish she was still here to pet and play with!

No comments:

Post a Comment